Sunday, April 21, 2013

Waiting To Exhale. . .

All day Friday I felt like I was holding my breath.  I woke up around 6:00 AM and did what I do every weekday morning. . . turn on the news and then grab my iPhone to check email/FB/Twitter/IG. . . but this morning was different.  Even in my sleepy haze I knew something wasn't right.

Breaking News

Suspect #1 DEAD

Suspect #2 On The Run


As the towns in "lock down" flashed across the bottom of my tv I couldn't believe what I was seeing as my town scrolled by. . .

Overnight the events started in Cambridge and continued into Watertown.  Both towns are very close to me.  I live in Brighton.  Actually I live only one mile from where "command central" was set up - in the Watertown Mall parking lot (aka where Target is).  I go there all.of.the.time.  I mean it has Target!  

So there is a crazy terrorist/bomber/murderer on the loose just miles from my home!?

As I watch the news footage of families being escorted out of their homes by police I had chills all over my body.  Children in pj's being carried out by their scared parents.  Was this really happening?

I called my boss and left a voicemail that I would be late for work.  I really thought this would all be "wrapped up" within a couple of hours.  Little did I know it would last until late into the night.

Next I called my parents.  I knew they would still be sleeping but I also knew that as soon as my mom woke up and saw the news she would be freaking out.  So I woke them.  She was as shocked as I was.

Within hours the entire city of Boston was "locked down."  Colleges and universities all over the city and surrounding towns were closed, the MBTA (trains, subways and buses) were closed, malls and restaurants were closed and cabs were closed too.  

I literally watched the news for 17 hours.  17 hours!  I don't think I have ever been that glued to the tv.  

I still haven't processed everything that happened.  It is surreal.  Unbelievable.  Scary.  Sad.  I have never been so tense in my life.  I listened to helicopters fly over my apartment and sirens drive by all day.  I don't know if that made me feel more scared or safer!?  I joked that I live in a brick building.  Bullet proof?

I kept thinking about him being on the run. . . into Brighton. . . into my neighborhood. . . near me.

What if?  What if the police come and ring my bell and tell me I have to leave my home?  What if?

Thankfully (for me) the events stayed in Watertown.  I felt so bad for all the people in that community.  So scary for a "normal" town to all of a sudden be making international news due to a manhunt for a terrorist.

When they lifted the "lock down" I did not feel safe.  Nothing had changed - he still wasn't caught - but yet we were now allowed to go about our lives.  Not me.  I stayed right where I had been all day.

Thankfully within a very short amount of time it seemed like they had found him.  It seemed like it took FOREVER to find out if they really had him.  I couldn't stand the waiting.

He was found.  In a boat.  At a home on 2.5 miles from my house.  Yes I googled it.  Holy crap 2.5 miles.  That was way too close.  Yet it was far enough away that I was safe.  Safe from gunfire.  Safe from explosives.  I just kept thinking about the people in that neighborhood - in that house!  They must have been SO scared.  

I am so so grateful to the man who owns that house and boat - thank God he noticed the hole in the shrink wrap.  Thank God he did the right thing and called the police.

If I'm being completely honest, I wanted Suspect #2 dead, like his brother.

It seems I may be in the minority with my thinking.  I just wanted it over.  I don't think he deserves amazing medical treatment at the hospital, I don't think he deserves a fair trial, I don't think he deserves anything.  But I understand other people's views.  I do.  

So now he lays in the hospital.  In serious but stable condition.  Will he talk? Will he tell us anything that will help us understand?  I don't know.  I only hope if there are others involved they will be caught too.

So there you have it.  My thoughts on probably what was the scariest day of my life.  Hopefully I will never have to live through anything like that again.  Praying that none of us do.

THANK YOU to all of you who checked in on me.  Thank you to all of you who send me emails, FB messages, tweets. . . I really appreciate all of you.  I could feel all the love for Boston yesterday.  It felt amazing.  I love Boston.  I am so proud of this city.

I am so appreciative and grateful to all of the people involved who "caught him."  Governor Patrick, Mayor Menino, the police (both state and local), the FBI, and all the other BRAVE people who protected us.

And to the medics, EMTs, doctors and nurses who had to care for and/or are caring for Suspect #2. . .
God Bless You!

I can't even imagine what it must be like.  I don't think I could do it.  I respect you all for being professional and doing your jobs.

I wanted to share some photos I've taken this week.  I've been amazed by much of what I've seen.

    Marathon Monday driving home - Flags at half-staff at Boston City Hall - Marathon Statue at Mile 20

 On Wednesday, just two days after the explosions, I visited the memorial on Boylston Street in Boston to pay my respects to the victims and their families.


Usually one of the busiest streets in Boston - closed.  No shopping, eating and drinking.  Instead people mourning.  People praying.  People in shock.

Boylston Street.  Crime Scene.

The Boston Common, Public Gardens and Copley Square area were filled with media and police.  Again surreal.  Not what I'm use to seeing in these parts.

And yet just steps away. . . it is peaceful and calm.  The Boston Common and Public Gardens were filled with Bostonians out walking, jogging, sun bathing, socializing and enjoying our city.  So amazing to see this just 48 hours following the tragedy!  Just another reason I love this city!

Proudly wearing a Boston Red Sox shirt on Saturday!

I still have so many other thoughts swirling around in my head.  But for now I think I've said enough.  I'm kind of tired of thinking about it all.  And then I feel guilty for feeling that way b/c I know the victims of this horrible tragedy still have months and months of healing and recovery.  They can't and won't forget anytime soon.  

For me I need to move forward with my life.  I need to get back to "normal" (whatever that is).  I can move forward while still remembering and honoring.
 On Wednesday I will attend a (previously scheduled) blood drive at Boston College.  I've donated blood once before during my #26Acts.  This time I will do it in honor of the Boston Marathon Tragedy victims.



  1. Beautiful post, Jodi! So glad all the immediate danger is over! I was sobbing as the people of Watertown were cheering for the cops/EMT's/FBI as they drove through. And the Red Sox game yesterday... more tears!


  2. So glad you're okay. I was holding my breath like the rest of America and hoping like mad that all of my people in Boston were safe and that there were no more casualties period.

  3. So glad that you are okay. I can't even imagine what that was like on Friday. I am so glad they caught him. I watched the news all day on Friday from my desk at work and then I went home and turned it right on. It was crazy watching from CO, I can't imagine watching it 2 miles from where it was going on.

  4. Knowing that I had a friend so close to all of this made it more real for me I think. Don't get me wrong, it would have just been as sad, but knowing you were right there freaked me out. I was literally streaming the Boston news station until Friday evening. So glad they caught him. Not gonna lie, when they said they wanted him dead or alive, I was leaning more towards dead, but that is just me. Glad Boston is safe. You've been in my thoughts and prayers!

  5. I can't even imagine your fear!! I caught the news late Thursday night and stayed up for hours watching cable news, the live feed from Boston news, and twitter. It was all so surreal. I love these pictures so much! Thanks for sharing them!